The Lutheran Services in America “Strength & Service Series”
- WEBINARS OPEN TO ALL STAFF & BOARD MEMBERS-
Book Launch with LSA’s own Héctor Colón — “From Boxing Ring to Boardroom: 5 Essential Virtues for Life and Leadership”
Date: December 2nd
Time: 1:00-2:00pm EDT
Join us as we hear from Lutheran Social Services of Wisconsin and Upper Michigan’s president and CEO, Héctor Colón, about his experiences overcoming adversity to achieve personal and professional success in international boxing and as a nonprofit leader, as discussed in his book, “From Boxing Ring to Boardroom: 5 Essential Virtues for Life and Leadership.” Register here.
- Chronic Pain and High-impact Chronic Pain Among U.S. Adults, 2019
- Self-identified Barriers to Rural Mental Health Services in Iowa by Older Adults with Multiple Comorbidities: Qualitative Interview Study
- Meeting the Needs of African-American Caregivers
CMS & HHS Resources
October 15 to December 7 is Medicare’s Open Enrollment Period. Visit Medicare.gov/plan-compare to compare Medicare health plans and find the plan that best fits your needs and budget.
- Coverage of Life-Saving COVID-19 Vaccines & Therapeutics Fact Sheet
- Nursing Home Resource Center
- Medicare Advantage and Part D Advance Notice II Fact Sheet & Entirety
Remember: 2020 CARES Act’s Charitable Giving Incentive creates a new above-the-line deduction (universal or non-itemizer deduction that applies to all taxpayers) for total charitable contributions of up to $300. The incentive applies to cash contributions made in 2020 and can be claimed on tax forms next year. The law also lifts the existing cap on annual contributions for those who itemize, raising it from 60 percent of adjusted gross income to 100 percent.
- How Innovative Community Responses to COVID-19 Support Healthy Aging
- ASHA's Where You Live Matters
Medicaid Supports for Family Caregivers - November 12th 1:00pmEDT
- Effective Online Reputation Management for Senior Living – November 16th 1:00pmEDT
- Expanded Medicare Advantage Supplemental Benefits: Offering Flexibility to Support High-Need Medicare Beneficiaries - November 19th 12:30-2:00pmEDT
- Leveraging Telehealth to Address Social Determinants - November 19th 2:00pmEDT
- Making the Connection: Introducing a Toolkit to Support Telephone Reassurance Programs - November 19th 3:30pmEDT
- Contracting Between Community-Based Organizations & Healthcare - Recording
Timing For A COVID Relief Bill Remains Uncertain
In an about-face, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said this past Wednesday that he will work to pass a new COVID-19 relief package by year's end, although the scope of the package remains to be seen. The previous week he had suggested that Congress might not take up the legislation until next year. Ultimately, the timing may depend now on Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s preferences. With Joseph Biden as the presumptive President-Elect, and with Democrats retaining their majority in the House of Representatives, Speaker Pelosi may wait until well into next year to pursue a much larger relief package than McConnell and his Republican Senate colleagues have been willing to consider over the last several weeks. Fundamental differences have remained between McConnell and Pelosi about state and local government relief, liability protections for providers and the overall size of the package. In the last weeks the Senate has passed a $500 billion package, while the House passed its own bill of more than $2 trillion.
Lutheran Services in America continues to work with other nonprofit organizations to urge passage of a COVID-19 relief bill as soon as possible with additional Paycheck Protection Program funding and other support to support health and human services front line providers through the COVID-19 pandemic.
Join us in urging lawmakers to provide additional nonprofit relief NOW by clicking here.
The purpose of this digest is to provide current news and resources to Lutheran Senior Services organizations. The Catalyst is disseminated every other week and includes relevant reports, educational opportunities, policy updates and other announcements. To add colleagues to the distribution list or to unsubscribe from the Catalyst, send an email to email@example.com.